How does one define ‘simple’? I looked up the definition of this word and I got the following choices:
- Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty:
- Composed of a single element; not compound
- Of or characteristic of low rank or status; humble and unpretentious:
- Of low or abnormally low intelligence
If you look at the four definitions of the word ‘simple’, they are entirely different and mean different things depending on the context that the word is used. There are many definitions for the word that can be found elsewhere. To me, ‘simple’ is a powerful word as I will explain as follows:
- Simplicity is ‘focus redefined’: It is very easy to get distracted in today’s complex world. Being simple affords you the opportunity of not getting bogged down with the luggage that the world tries to offload on you.
- Simplicity is a major ‘task killer’: As we grow older, tasks of various types keep piling on us. Practicing simplicity as a habit helps us in creating a mindset that helps in completing these tasks smartly and effectively.
- Simplicity is a ‘problem solver’: A majority of the problems in life can be resolved by simple and patient solutions.
- Simple messages are powerful: Twitter allows you tweets of 140 characters or less. It is such a powerful medium of communication of the 21st century because of this simplicity. Keep is short, keep it simple. It helps convey the message better.
It is difficult to be simple in a complex and quick changing world like ours. It is a habit that helps us cultivate valuable life lessons that can go a long way in redefining who we are.
Be happy for being simple
Photo Credit: ScottNorrisPhoto via Compfight cc